Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hemingway's Old Man and Baseball

    

     “I’ll be back when I have the sardines. I’ll keep yours and mine together on ice and we can share them in the morning. When I come back you can tell me about the baseball.”
     “The Yankees cannot lose.”
     “But I fear the Indians of Cleveland.”
     “Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio.”
     “I fear both the Tigers of Detroit and the Indians of Cleveland.”
     “Be careful or you will fear even the Reds of Cincinnati and the White Sox of Chicago.”
     “You study it and tell me when I come back.”

(The Old Man and the Sea)

The old fisherman does have some wisdom but it is clearly limited. Indeed, you should always fear the Tigers of Detroit. Everyone knows in his heart of hearts that they always have been and always will be the greatest team the sport has ever known. The statistics may not bear this out, but greatness, my friends, is not measured by statistics.

I am quite hopeful this season. We're at .519 and just five games behind the Indians, who, by the way, are a total fluke this year. They won't last.

The Yankees cannot lose? No comment.

1 comment:

  1. I think that if we can get some consistent pitching and consistent hitting, we can make a run.

    LOL! You gotta love baseball generalities that are so obvious, but also allegorical to some degree.

    I am pleased with the spot we are in now, based on how inconsistent we have been. I can tell you this, it is hard being a fan living in Alaska. No radio, no tv. Just watching the scores pop up online. I told my wife yesterday, that what I miss about Detroit summers, is going and watching a game, and getting a coney.

    Go Tigers.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.